• LSUBEAT.com • Schedules • Depth Chart • Recruits • LSU in NFL • LSU Gear

Monday, December 29, 2008

Good news on coordinator?

If indeed John Chavis is LSU's next defensive coordinator, then that should be good news for LSU fans.

First, the Tigers' defense should be better if for no other reason than having just one defensive coordinator. Maybe it's just me, but I think teams do better with one coordinator and one voice for a particular side of the football. I know it's been done and I'm sure some teams have even been successful, but I think it becomes a little more difficult with two coordinators instead of one.

Second, I think Chavis is a pretty good coach. He's been in the SEC and knows the league. His philosophy -- make big plays when they count -- should sit well with LSU fans.

He was the American Football Coaches Association's Assistant of the Year in 2000.

Yeah, Tennessee had its problems this past year. But the Vols were third in the SEC in scoring defense at 16.8 points per game. I think LSU fans would take their chances allowing 16 points per game.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hoped LSU could get Chavis when I heard Fulmer was fired. The co-D coordinators was a bad idea, and the DBs were poorly coached this year. This is a great hire, and it gives me hope for next season.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home