• LSUBEAT.com • Schedules • Depth Chart • Recruits • LSU in NFL • LSU Gear

Sunday, August 12, 2007

More from LSU players

And here's more:

Matt Flynn, Quarterback
On living up to the expectations of being the starting quarterback on the # 2 ranked team in preseason …
“I’ve been here for five years, and I feel like every year there are expectations, and I think every year expectations grow. So, you learn to deal with that and you learn how to play with it. You just can’t focus on what people are saying. We as a team have to get together and come up with goals for ourselves.
“We know there are expectations, but we have expectations for ourselves. You just have to look past it, take it one day at a time, one game at a time. We think we have a special team this year, and we can do something very good and very special. If we keep working and stick together, we can accomplish it.”

On his relationship with new offensive coordinator Gary Crowton …
“Me and Coach Crowton have developed a very close relationship.We’ve worked a lot together studying film.Just me and him sitting down and going over plays and reading defenses.He’s taught me a lot about just the game in general, not just specific plays.We are getting on the same page and building some chemistry.
“I know what he’s going to want before the play even starts.It’s good that that’s going to happen, that me and him can be on the same page.I think it’s going to help the offense in general.”

On Brandon LaFell, who he feels is the wide receiver who made the most improvements over the summer …
”At the end of spring, over the summer and through camp, he’s come out.I’m telling you, he’s going to be very good receiver.He’s going to help this team, and he’s going to be one of the key points of this offense.”

On Early Doucet …
”I feel very confident with Early Doucet. It’s obvious, if I need a big play or a big first down, I’m going to look to him first. There’s no doubt about that. He’s proven throughout the years that he can make big plays. I feel fortunate that I have him out there. It makes my job a little bit easier.”

Jacob Hester, Running Back
On the experience the current running backs have …
“Charles (Scott) and Keiland (Williams) getting that experience last year was huge for us. We are coming in and we realize that we don’t have to slow things down really. Last year, we had three freshmen in, so we had to slow things down during camp and really teach them the plays. This year, we can watch film and not have to slow it down to teach them the basic things.

“They know just as much as I do, or Shawn (Jordan) does, guys that have been here four and five years. It’s really helped us just hit things on the run and not have to worry about ‘is he picking it up?’ because he already knows it. We can concentrate on the game part of it, and not just the plays.”

On whether or not some of the tailbacks will see time at fullback …
“Whoever has the hot hand will be out there. We’ve got four or five pretty good guys, so whoever is in there, we are going to have a good tailback or fullback. That’s a good problem to have.”

On Gary Crowton …
“When he was the coach at Louisiana Tech, I was the biggest Tim Rattay (former Tech QB) fan in the world. When I heard he was coming, I knew he was going to open up the passing game for the running backs. He has some plays for the running backs that we aren’t used to, and that other teams aren’t going to be able to just focus on the receivers or the running game. He brings a whole new dimension to the game compared to the pro offense we ran last year.”

On how his marriage has changed his mentality towards the game …
“I think it has actually helped me grow up in everything I do. Everyday life, football, school, everything. I’m a man now. I’m on my own. My parents aren’t there to help me. It’s my thing now, so I think it’s helped me to grow up in everything I do.

Early Doucet, Wide Receiver
On Matt Flynn …
“He’s been here five years, and he’s just a leader. He knows how to handle the situation. He’s going to be ready to make plays for us.”


On his expectations for his senior year …
“We definitely want to set our goals high, but that’s only goals. We have to continue to work hard each day in practice to accomplish those goals. As a whole unit, we set our goals high, but at the same time, we have to stay focused and humble about the whole thing and continue to work hard and get better everyday.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home